Redbox is one of the most popular ways to watch content online. It allows you to rent, buy, and even stream live television shows and programs.
The service launched a few years back and it had a specific audience in mind – United States residents. Redbox is restricted to the US, making it totally inaccessible overseas.
This article explains how to use the service outside the US. It takes 4 minutes to go through the guide. Once done, you’ll be able to access your Redbox library and watch your purchased/free content anywhere.
Unblock Redbox – Full Guide
There’s more to it than just the steps above. Make sure to go through this in-depth walkthrough:
What You Need
To access Redbox, the following list is needed:
- A VPN subscription.
- Redbox account (Purchase and Rent).
- Redbox-compatible device.
Where is Redbox Available?
As mentioned, Redbox has gained huge popularity over the years, harnessing more than 39 million members in the United States.
However, the channel/service is only accessible by US residents due to geographical restrictions. You see, Redbox applies geo-blocking – a technique used to restrict user access based on his/her location.
This is mainly for copyright reasons. Just like several online services and websites, Redbox examines your IP address to determine your whereabouts.
To stream its content, you must have a US IP address. If you live abroad, that’s exactly what you lack, which will lead to an instant block.
You’ll be notified at once with one of the following error messages:
- “Playback of this title is not currently available. Please try again. If this issue continues, please contact Redbox Customer Service.”
- “Oops. Something unexpected happened.”
- “An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again.”
- “No content. Video playback failed.”
- “403 ERROR. The request could not be satisfied. Request blocked. We can’t connect to the server for this app or website at this time. There might be too much traffic or a configuration error. Try again later, or contact the app or website owner.”
Rest assured! If you follow the steps provided above, you’ll easily be able to unblock the channel wherever you may reside.
The Importance of VPNs
A Virtual Private Network is an online tool that allows you to create a virtual tunnel to numerous servers worldwide.
Once the connection is established, the VPN encrypts your data (enhanced security) and conceals your IP address (extra anonymity).
After that, it replaces your IP with a temporary one based on the server’s location, granting you full access to any restricted content in that region.
For example, if you connect to an American server, you’ll receive a US IP address. As a result, you’ll be able to watch Redbox and other US-based channels anywhere.
To sum things up, here are the benefits of operating with a VPN service:
- Heightened security using military-grade encryption.
- Anonymous browsing with a hidden IP address.
- Faster speeds due to bypassing ISP throttling.
- Direct access to services and channels all over the world.
When it comes to unblocking Redbox, choosing the right VPN matters a lot. We tested several VPN and most of them failed to get the job done.
Even the most reputable of them fell short. We did, however, get some great results while testing BulletVPN.
Witnessed some trial and error moments, but in the end, with the Portland 2 server, we managed to unblock the service in our country.
We recommend BulletVPN for the job, but other VPNs can help you out in case it’s not what you’re looking for. Check them out in the table below.
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Can I Watch Redbox with a Free VPN?
After several free VPN testings over the years, QamoVPN is the one we liked best. It offers more than 10 servers in key locations like the US, Europe, and Japan, and connection speed was very impressive, allowing us to watch Redbox outside the US without interruptions.
The provider also excels in privacy, as users benefit from military-grade AES-256 encryption, a built-in kill switch, and a zero-logging policy – all premium VPN features.
According to our findings, Qamo is the only free VPN with excellent streaming access and elite security protection. However, the app – although easy to use – is still only available on Android and is ad-supported.
But if you’re looking to access Redbox from abroad without letting it take a toll on your pocket, Qamo VPN is the best way to do so.
How to Get Redbox on Any Device Outside the US
Now that you know how to access Redbox outside the United States, you can proceed to get the channel on your device:
In order to watch Redbox on your Windows or Mac desktop device, the following steps should be taken:
- Install the VPN app on your computer/laptop.
- Connect to an American server.
- Open your browser and visit Redbox’s official website.
- Enjoy the biggest movies and shows anywhere.
On your Android mobile, tablet, Sony Bravia TV, or Nvidia Shield, getting the Redbox app is very easy. Here’s what you need to do:
- Download and install the VPN app and connect to a US server.
- If you’re outside the US, change your Google Play Store’s country to America.
- Download and install the Redbox app.
- Launch the client and start watching.
Are you using an iOS mobile or tablet? Then here’s what you need:
- Install the VPN and connect to an American server.
- Download the Redbox app on your iPhone/iPad. You might need to change Apple Store’s region.
- Launch the Redbox app and enjoy.
If you happen to use your Samsung Smart TV as a streaming hub, getting the Redbox app requires the following:
- Install your VPN on your router and establish a US connection.
- Change your Smart TV’s region to America and get the Redbox client.
- Launch the app, sign in if needed (Purchase or Rent), and start watching.
If you have an Xbox or a PlayStation, you can seamlessly get the Redbox app. Make sure that you have Xbox (One, X, or S) and a PlayStation 5. Otherwise, the app is not supported:
- Establish a US VPN connection on your router.
- Change your console’s region to the US and get the Redbox app.
- Activate the client and sign in if necessary.
- Watch Redbox wherever you are.
Redbox Anywhere – FAQ
More questions? Make sure you check this section; It has everything you need to know:
Can I Watch Redbox for Free?
While you need to rent/buy most of the content, Redbox has a dedicated section for free programs, movies, as well as live TV coverage.
Do I Need an Account to Stream Redbox?
If you’re watching free content, an account is not necessary. However, if you want to buy/rent anything, the website/app will prompt you to sign in with an account.
Why Am I Getting Ads on Redbox?
You will only get ads if you’re watching free content.
Can I Install Redbox on FireStick?
The Redbox app is not available on FireStick’s store. However, you can get it by sideloading from outer sources.
How Long Do I Have to Stream A Rented Title?
If you haven’t watched your rented title, you have 30 days. If you started watching, you have 48 hours to finish it.
Redbox Unboxed Outside the US
Redbox is a channel worth checking out, especially if you’re outside the United States as it offers a wide variety of movies and shows.
Now, you have the means to unblock it overseas. If you have any more questions, feel free to drop us a line in the comment section below.