Packing your bags and heading to Spain? Then take it from someone who’s a regular visitor: You’ll absolutely love it. From the bustling city life of Madrid and the stunning Barcelona architecture to the beaches of Mallorca and the Ibiza nightlife, Spain has it all. But whether you’re a tourist, student, or ex-pat, the best VPN for Spain should be your number one companion.
Things can go wrong very quickly online, especially when you’re abroad. Geo-blocks, internet surveillance, and public WiFi hackers are just the first of many threats you will encounter. So why let all that ruin your time when you can stay safe by connecting to a VPN server? All it takes is just one click.
However, not all VPNs are suitable for your online wellbeing. Therefore, we thoroughly went through several providers to see what is the best VPN for Spain. You’ll find all the information you need below.
Best VPN for Spain – Easy Install
Time needed: 3 minutes.
Protect your data, access your favorite content, and get total privacy with just one click.
- Sign up for a top VPN.
Only premium providers secure your sensitive data and give you unrestricted access. According to our tests, ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Spain.
- Install the VPN app.
Download the dedicated VPN app on your phone, tablet, desktop/laptop, or set it up on your router and get VPN perks on all your devices.
- Log in and connect.
Enter your credentials, sign in, and connect to your target VPN server.
- Get full access and protection.
Bypass internet restrictions and encrypt all your data wherever you are.
The Internet in Spain
According to U.S. News’s Best Countries index, Spain is just inside the top 20 nations to live in, claiming the 19th spot. Held in partnership with BAV Group and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, the American media company gave Spain an overall score of 69.3/100.
The rating system focuses on several key factors, including quality of life, entrepreneurship, and power. But the country was most impressive in terms of heritage (#1 worldwide), adventure (#3 worldwide), and cultural influence (#6 worldwide). These categories and more made Spain one of the world’s top destinations.
Furthermore, Spain’s internet status is mostly free, except for a few restrictions. According to the Economic Times, the country is sixth in terms of nations with the most internet freedom. In short, online platforms are easy to access with uncensored social media and laws that guarantee media freedoms. However, several websites that supported Catalan independence were blocked in 2017.
Now, there are a couple of red flags you should know about when you visit the country.
For instance, insults to the crown, including the king and the royal family, are a criminal offense. Also, in 2015, the Spanish government passed the controversial public safety law, a.k.a. the ‘gag law’. It gave more power to law enforcement agencies and cracked down on freedom of speech. As a result, it became illegal to ‘disrespect’ police officers or organize protests near government buildings.
Moreover, government surveillance is a growing concern for citizens and activists alike. Spain is part of the 14 Eyes, an international alliance of intelligence agencies. Basically, its members can monitor users’ internet activities and share them with each other.
Why the Best VPN for Spain Is a Must
Geo-blocks, censorship, ISP tracking, and online threats will follow you wherever you go. So whether you’re in or out of Spain, only a reliable VPN service can protect your privacy and give you internet freedom. Once you hit the connect button, you’ll enjoy all these perks:
- Unlimited streaming: Disney+, Hulu, BBC IPlayer, and similar services are geo-blocked outside their respective territories due to copyright and distribution issues. As a result, you can’t access them from abroad. Not unless you use the best VPN for Spain and connect to the right server.
- Fast, risk-free gaming: Your ISP will deliberately slow down your internet speed if you consume too much bandwidth, which usually happens during online games. Furthermore, your opponents could hire DDoS gangs to kick you out of the game if they’re losing. But you can avoid both scenarios with a reputable VPN.
- Public WiFi protection: You’ll be using free public hotspots in Spanish hotels, cafes, and restaurants because, well, they’re free. But these networks are usually crawling with hackers who could easily steal your sensitive data. VPNs will save your personal and banking information.
- Data encryption: VPNs use industry-leading encryption to prevent hackers, ISPs, and government agencies from monitoring or tracking your internet activities. And since Spain is part of the 14 Eyes alliance, you’ll need it to maintain your online privacy. In short, no one will know what you’re doing.
- No user logs: Premium providers keep your anonymity intact with their zero-logging policy. It means that they won’t keep records of your browsing history, IP address, or anything else you do online.
- Torrent support: Although torrenting is legal in Spain, downloading copyrighted content could land you in trouble. Therefore, the safest thing to do is get a VPN, which also hides your IP address from shady network peers.
Best VPN for Spain
Your online data is extremely valuable, so you must only trust proven and reputable providers with it. Our team of picky experts put dozens of VPNs to the test and only selected the best ones for Spain.
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
The industry-leading ExpressVPN picks up the top spot in our best VPN for Spain review. With high-speed servers in over 160 locations worldwide, you’ll be able to access your favorite streaming platforms and use torrent networks to share files. Also, their Lightway protocol (based on Wireguard) allows faster server connection time.
As for security and privacy, the British Virgin Islands-based provider offers AES encryption with 256-bit keys, a proven no-logs policy, and an automatic kill switch. On a different note, it has dedicated, easy-to-use apps for most platforms, including iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Fire TV, Linux, and more. First-time subscribers benefit from a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 24/7 live chat support
- Excellent streaming access
- P2P support
- Military-grade encryption
- Zero logs kept
- Fast servers
- 30-day refund policy
- Expensive subscription plans
- Owned by Kape Technologies
Surfshark registered impressive scores in our tests, especially regarding features and privacy. In addition to military-grade encryption and a no-logging policy, it offers double VPN encryption and CleanWeb, a tool that blocks ads and malware. Also, one of its standout benefits is that you can use it on as many devices as you want with just one account.
Surfshark gives you access to most streaming services through a network of 3,200 servers spread across 65 countries. You can install it on your desktop, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, and more. It also supports torrenting, WireGuard, and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Military-grade encryption
- No-logs policy
- Double VPN
- Unlimited device connections
- 30-day refund policy
- Limited P2P servers
- Average speed
Based in Estonia and safely outside the prying 14 Eyes, BulletVPN surged to the third spot largely thanks to bullet-speed servers and a perfect streaming record. That’s right! This VPN managed to unblock every platform we threw at it; the first VPN to accomplish this feat so far. That includes DStv, Showmax, Kayo Sports, TVNZ, and more.
Moreover, BulletVPN offers a unique BulletShield feature that doesn’t allow internet access unless you’re connected to a VPN server. The tool is optional, and you can only activate it with the kill switch. Of course, you’ll also benefit from AES 256-bit encryption and a zero-logs policy. You can install BulletVPN on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and more and use it on up to six devices.
- Best for streaming
- WireGuard support
- Kill switch + BulletShield
- AES-256 encryption, no logs
- 6 device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Smaller server network
- Light on features
Our experts’ fourth pick was Unlocator because it combines the security and privacy of a VPN with the streaming access of a Smart DNS. This service first operated solely as a Smart DNS before adding VPN benefits to its portfolio. And now, you can benefit from both with Unlocator Hybrid. And although you might think other VPNs are more worthy of making our top four, Unlocator is still much more affordable.
The VPN works on most devices, and new customers get a 30-day refund should they cancel their subscription within the first month. You’ll also benefit from military-grade encryption, a zero-logs policy, and a kill switch. What’s not to like?
- Unlocator Hybrid
- Best Smart DNS
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Excellent streaming support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Based in Denmark
- Few features
- Small server network
VPNs You Should Avoid
Our experts shortlisted the above providers because they performed very well in Spain. But that doesn’t mean they were the only ones. NordVPN, CyberGhost, and Ivacy VPN were also excellent alternatives for the best VPN for Spain.
However, some services like free VPNs will do more harm than good. In fact, it’s better not to use a VPN than to connect to one of them.
First, free VPNs make money by collecting and selling your personal data, including your IP address and browsing history. They also could contain malware in some of the ads they display. Additionally, they use weak or no encryption whatsoever, putting all your information and credentials at risk.
But it’s not just security and privacy. Free VPNs rarely work with streaming platforms because their IP addresses are easy to detect and block. And even when they succeed, the speed levels are abysmal, meaning you won’t enjoy your favorite shows or games. Limited servers and bandwidth caps make the final straw for our experts, which is why they never recommend them.
Therefore, it’s better to use premium VPN services because they pay for themselves. You can literally use and benefit from them every time you go online.
Best VPN for Spain – How We Rate Them
Our VPN experts have a never-failing method to test VPN providers and only recommend the best ones. And we’re going to share it with you.
- Encryption: What’s the point of a VPN if it can’t protect your privacy? We only recommend services with military-grade encryption and grade-A privacy features.
- Strong streaming support: Many people use VPNs to access geo-blocked content. That’s why we check if they work with the most popular platforms like Netflix and Hulu.
- Allows torrenting: Some VPNs don’t allow P2P activities due to copyright infringement issues. But torrenting is perfectly legal, hence why we recommend services with P2P support.
- 24/7 customer service: You need a support team available around the clock to answer all your questions. Premium VPNs offer email, ticket, and live chat options.
Another important factor is pricing. But can you really put a price on your online security, privacy, and freedom? Nonetheless, every VPN on our list is affordable and falls within the average price range. You won’t find ridiculous fees. Additionally, you’ll benefit from a 30-day money-back guarantee, which allows you to fully explore your preferred provider before committing.
Get the Best VPN for Spain on Any Platform
Just one VPN subscription is enough to protect all your devices. Sign up now and install the app with just one click.
Easily download the VPN app on Windows, Mac, or Linux:
- Go to the VPN website
- Create an account
- Select your preferred subscription plan and payment method
- Connect to a VPN server of your choice
- Enjoy internet access and anonymity
Install the dedicated VPN app on your iOS or Android phone/tablet:
- Subscribe to the best VPN for Spain
- Go to the App Store or Play Store
- Find the VPN app and tap install/get
- Connect to any server
- Get privacy and freedom wherever you go
VPNs don’t have apps for Fire TV, Apple TV, or similar devices. But you can still benefit from VPN perks. Just:
- Set up a VPN connection on your router
- Connect to your preferred server destination
- Download your favorite streaming app
- Follow live and on-demand programs from anywhere
You also won’t find VPN apps for Smart TVs because they aren’t compatible. So you’ll have to follow the same process as the Fire TV and set up the VPN on your router. Next, choose the server you want, download the streaming app, and start watching.
PlayStation and Xbox don’t support VPN clients, meaning you have to manually install the VPN connection on your router (see the Fire TV tab). After doing so, connect to a VPN server, download your favorite games or apps, and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get more information about the best VPN for Spain.
How do I get the best VPN for Spain?
Your VPN will be up and running in just a few minutes. Simply:
- Subscribe to one of the VPNs we recommended
- Install the app on your favorite device
- Sign in and connect to the server you want
- Enjoy the internet without restrictions or intrusion
Are VPNs legal in Spain?
Yes, VPNs are perfectly legal in Spain. But still, you can’t use them to commit crimes. Otherwise, you’ll get in trouble with law enforcement agencies.
How do I get a Spanish IP address?
If you’re a Spanish expatriate looking to access local websites from abroad, just connect to any Spanish VPN servers.
Do I need a VPN if I have an IP address from Spain?
It’s always best to connect to a VPN whenever you go online. It will protect your data when you use public hotspots and prevent your ISP from monitoring or throttling your connection.
Can I use a free VPN in Spain?
Free VPNs can’t stop online government surveillance or bypass streaming restrictions. Therefore, we advise you to get a premium provider.
Best VPN for Spain – Adios Muchachos
Despite its cultural, touristic, and architectural appeal, Spain’s internet status is far from perfect. Online government surveillance, blocked websites, media restrictions, and geo-blocks are just some of your worries. Therefore, you need a trusty VPN by your side.
The best VPN for Spain will protect your sensitive data, maintain your online privacy, and give you access to your favorite content. Our experts picked ExpressVPN as the number one choice, but any service from our list will suffice.
So if you’re heading to or out of Spain, put your mind at ease and install a VPN first.